Where's the Grass-rogaine?
The buffalo grass is prone to develop bare spots, at least in this area with the watering schedule I keep. Unless you are keeping the bare soil moist, it's unlikely to fill them in with new springs.
I'm doing a week or two of short, frequent watering sessions to encourage the grass to spread.
|Dead spot where Bermuda grass died, before de-thatching.|
Baldness Prevention tips:
- Empty the mower bag before it overflows and starts dropping clumps of clippings on the lawn. Those clumps turn into bald spots.
- Pick up fallen twigs and other debris frequently.
- Kill weeds, especially the ones with a rosette of leaves. When they die they leave round bald spots.
- Fill in any craters the birds dig.
- Don't let your dogs pee on the grass. It kills the grass in that spot.
- If you have pop-up sprinklers, turn them on during the daytime and check the flow and alignment. Lack of water makes big bald spots.
- Trim back bushes that overhang the sprinklers.